Sunday, June 6, 2010

You Saved Me

The other day we paid a large amount of money to a man who put a bunch of holes in the yard. Think about that for a minute. Sort of funny. Oh, but it will be a night and day difference he says. Truth is, I was pretty excited to get home and see the results myself. Four inch plugs, top dressed. What's wrong with me?? I guess I just enjoy seeing my love so proud of his yard...his home. I don't think I have ever met anyone who works so hard at them both. Most of the time I feel like I'm a slacker lately compared to him. I mean, all I want to do is take pictures and write. He's pretty understanding.

How in the world did I find him anyway? I saw him in the hallway in high school one day. I remember that day our eyes met. He didn't say a word. But there was a connection. Who is that guy? That older guy with the most amazing blue eyes I had ever seen. He drove a black Toyota truck...lived near my best friend. Yeah, who is that guy?

Somehow, he finally said something. Talked for hours and hours and hours. So easy. Most of the time while he was working a midnight shift. Cori kept asking....no, we're just friends I said. She knew better. So did Mama.

Summer after my freshman year was the beginning. It's been now..wow...nearly 21 years. I haven't thought of that in a long time. I actually had to just do the math. Married for.....more math.....almost 13 years. We have never broken up....never really been apart. Crazy ha?

So as you've guessed, today my love is 40. I remember when he turned 21. I made strawberry cupcakes. Then, I managed to make enough to shape them into a huge 21. I can see it just like yesterday, displayed on my Mom's kitchen table and waiting for him to come see. I even remember the smile on his face. I'm feeling a little old right now. And probably embarrassing him.

We've been through a lot. I've chased my dreams and he followed me. Then, he chased his dreams and I followed him. We've been through hard times, wouldn't be normal if we didn't. We've helped each other through some of the most difficult, unexpected trials in life. How could I have ever survived that April Day without him. He helped me breathe again when I felt like I just couldn't anymore. And so many more moments he only knows. We've been together through the most wonderful miracles in life. Seeing him hold our children for the first time. Unexplainable. Pure happiness and joy.

Amazing that I found him in that same little town I grew up in. So incredibly amazing. I feel like the luckiest person most days when I look in his eyes. I love my husband. I love our children. I love my life.

Wish I could travel back in time. Wish I could run up to him in that crowded high school hallway and say, "We are going to have a great life! You are going to make all my dreams come true, and I'm going to love you forever." Give him a huge kiss and run on to class.

Happy Birthday Love. You more than complete me...you saved me. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. How sweet! I am so happy that you met your dream guy so early..

    ReplyDelete