Saturday, July 10, 2010

Wax On, Wax Off

I have to admit, I was so excited when I saw the premier for this during the How to Train Your Dragon movie, I almost jumped out of my chair. The Karate Kid...one of my favorites...done over. I can not explain the feeling. There are some movies that just touch you and brand you, you know. In so many ways. Ralph Macchio, my hero. Elizabeth Shue, my idol. Romance, encouragement, bravery, love, excitement, laughter, tears. It must be the most underrated movies of all times. The underdog wins. OK, I'm a Karate Kid geek. I know it. I'm not ashamed.

I've been waiting, patiently. Waiting for the moment to whisk Jonah away and introduce him to the story. He's seen part of the old one, but this new one will probably do it for him. I really wonder if it will impact him in a way it did me? He's sort of young, probably not. But I've already said this entire experience was probably more for me, didn't I?


Sunday, 1:00, we'll be there. There we were. Jonah notices the poster, "There it is!" Yeah! He's into it. I can't wait. Get to the window and it was like...well, like rain on an outdoor birthday party. "I'm sorry Mam, the reel is broken. Karate Kid will not be playing today." Blank stare. What? No freaking way, right? Then she continued, "You can choose from any of these for free...Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, etc." I decided at that moment to let go. Let go of Karate Kid for now and just ask Jonah...ok, I can do this. "Jonah, would you like to see one of these instead?" "No mama, I want to see Karate Kid!" That's my boy. Silent cheer on the inside. Backup plan in action. And yes, this is how I think. Right now, I'm just re-thinking out loud...on paper...whatever this is!


Hello iPhone. See, this is the good thing about living outside of a big city. Every little town on the way in has a movie theater. Woodstock first. Not playing till 7. Town Center...bingo. 3:15. Two hours to kill. That's easy. Hello toy store.


Finally! We are loaded with Popcorn, Hershey's chocolate, Skittles, Diet Coke and Water. We are the first ones there. So cool! We get to practice karate moves while Jonah picks out a seat. And he did, the very top. Ok, wherever you want. Secretly thankful he didn't pick the front row.


And without going on and on even more here...it was so damn good, even without my old music. But, they rocked some Flo Rida...you know..."Apple Bottom jeans [jeans]. Boots with the fur [with the fur]..." and we were really moving to that. It was everything I wished it would be. No wax on/wax off, but instead, jacket on/jacket off. Probably a little more realistic anyway, right? We laughed out loud. Jonah had a few questions about why those boys were being mean to him. I just said because they didn't know better, but they would learn a lesson in the end. I cried. We cheered and clapped out loud with the neighboring family who was just as much into it as we were.


And I will never forget this moment with Jonah for as long as I live. Because he totally got it. And he walked out doing more Kung Fu and asking when we could buy it. Oh honey, as soon as it comes out, as soon as it comes out. In the mean time, we'll find the one I loved when I was little.


Jackie Chan was incredible, beautiful. And he said this and it hit me hard. That good kind of hard. I get it. Gave me chills. And yes, more tears.


"Life will knock you down, but you can choose whether or not to get back up."


Oh good grief, I need to stop. Just go see it...it you like this sort of thing.

3 comments:

  1. I took my boys to see it too. We watched all the old ones on Netflix before we went. They loved it and I wanted to stand up and cheer at the end just the way I did a long long time ago with Tori and Aunt Julie in Dublin at the little theatre in the strip mall. Think it was called Westgate maybe...I don't know, but I saw lots of great movies there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Keeli! We've been watching the old one on Netflix now and Jonah keeps pointing out the differences..."Mama, he didn't move to China in this one." And he thinks he didn't have to train as much in the old one. All he was doing was painting the fence and waxing the floor. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the song...btw. My Ben loves to sing "You're the best around" :)

    ReplyDelete