Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Carve Your Jack

Carving the pumpkin is such a wonderful tradition.  We did ours on the night following the full day at the Pumpkin Patch and Apple Orchard.  I was so exhausted.  Really, I was so tired and out of my mind that I said yes to my angels without even thinking about it.  I could have been delirious from exhaustion.  It could have been all the the fried apple pies.  Or...perhaps I just go, go, go and do not know how to stop?  One of the three.

Doesn't matter.  We carved out Jack and this is how it went.

IMG_1148_blog.jpg

We started out trying to decide on a design.  Jonah wanted something scary.  Jesse wanted something cute.  We Googled it.



We really needed a compromise.  Google wasn't helping.



So, I said, "Let's do something traditional."  And Jesse said, "Ha?"  I need to teach her, "What you talking about Willis?"



They actually agreed on traditional, after I explained what it was to Jesse.



He was a happy traditional...a classic.



"But, at least give me a scary face!"



Jonah decided that my decorative pumpkins needed faces as well.  At first glance, this looks like Egyptian Hieroglyphics.  But, look closely and you see many different faces all around the flat, squatty pumpkin.  Good job brother.  I had no idea you had this in you.  Well, that's not true, yes I did.



Jesse felt the need to decorate her white one.  "Spiders!" she said.  Ok.  Turns out perfect on a white pumpkin.



And here he is with candlelight.  He's simple.  He's happy.  He's probably not going to make it to Halloween.  But, we enjoyed making him.  I bought four more from Publix, cause really, I don't think he is going to make it to Halloween.  But I couldn't find the heart to tell them no.  We were in such the spirit to do it that night.

I know it seems like a lot of work, pulling out pumpkin guts and all, but take the time to carve your Jack.  It's worth it.  Just a simple one will do.  Go ahead and feel like a kid again.

It's better than worrying about all the stacks of papers on your kitchen table or countertop isn't it?  Yeah, I know this is random, but my laptop is sitting on them at this very moment and it is driving me crazy.  Yeah, I know you got them too.  I can't be the only one!  Just use a piece to catch the pumpkin guts.  It sure did make me feel better.  Although, don't use your power bill.  I would hate for you to be without internet.  That would be tragic...and scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment