Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Coming Home

Some days I walk in the back door after a long day at work, and it's all roses.  Jesse runs up to me with a hug and says, "I missed you so much today!"  Jonah tells me he had a good day and, "I was on green all day!"  That just means he didn't get into any trouble at school.  This is what I call a lovely afternoon.

Some days are the opposite.  Some days they are both screaming and fighting and crying.  I look at Kelly for a reason why.  Kelly looks at me with no explanation because there really isn't one.  I look at her and say, "Ok then, I'm going back to work."  Kelly then grabs her bag and runs out the back door in a flash.  I didn't know she could move that fast.  Of course, I'm kidding.  Actually, I sometimes tell her to run for her life.

Does anyone have an answer as to why some days are this way?  Jonah went to bed at a pretty good hour last night.  Jesse napped.  I don't believe there is a full moon.

I guess this is why there is no perfect book or method of parenting.  Some days are great and smooth.  Some days are crazy and rocky and just scary.  No scientist could pin point why.

I thought I would share my rocky day with you today.

Jesse was upset because Jonah made me something for Mother's Day at school, and SHE really wanted to give it to me.  Jonah was upset because I saw it too soon because of Jesse, and of course, it was his to give...not hers.  Jesse was screaming at Jonah.  Jonah was screaming at Jesse.  It was chaos.  So....

Plan A.

I told Jonah I had no idea what his gift was and that he better hide it before I was tempted to look inside.  I suggested Jesse could help him hide it.  Bad idea.  Jesse was screaming upstairs while Jonah was trying to hide it from her and me.  Hmmmmm.  Jesse really wants to give me something.

Plan B.

"Jesse," I say, "do you want to make me something for Mother's Day."  Sniff. Sniff.  "Yes," she said with her swollen, wet eyes.  "Ok."



We gathered green paper because green is a "beautiful color" she said.  We pulled out the glitter glue, and she made a mess on our kitchen table.  Paper literally stuck to the table.  I didn't care at this point.

All of the sudden, it was quiet.  Jesse was working hard on my Mother's Day gift,  and Jonah successfully hid his and found a book to read.  I did a double take of him sitting reading a book.  A chapter book.  He's not a book worm.  Shocking.

IMG_7181_blog.jpg

Ok, so he said those were his reading glasses.  I can't stop laughing at my sweet, Ice Man reading Junie B. Jones.  What a sight.



Then, I grabbed my laptop to record my thoughts while they were quiet, and before I forgot the progression of the evening.

Then, I went back in bravely and fed them dinner.  Jesse refused to eat, but still not as bad as before.



Then, I poured a glass of wine and congratulated myself on my accomplishment.  Did I tell him to read a book?  No.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.  This was my rainbow after the storm.  This was my reminder that there is good in the bad days.

Oh, and Jesse hid her gift too.  She was so proud.  Double rainbow.

As I wrap this up, I wonder how it will be when I walk in the door tomorrow.  Will it be lovely?  Will it be scary?  If it is scary, will I come up with another successful plan?

Who knows?  Every day is still a gift, lovely or scary.  I'll take it either way.

And...every day I will look forward to coming home.  It will always be the best part of my day.

1 comment:

  1. Some days are really hard. But gosh,you rocked this one didn't you???

    ReplyDelete